By: Sam Kohler
- 1/2 Yellowfin Tuna; Finely Minced
- 2 Avocados
- 2 Cups Sushi Rice; Dry
- 5 Tablespoons Mizkan Sushi Rice Seasoning
- 1 English Cucumber; Thinly Sliced
- 2 Jalapeños; Thinly Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Bourbon Ponzu Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
- 1/4-1/3 Cup Kewpie Mayo
- 1 Tbsp. Sriracha
- 1 Tbsp. Gochujang
- 1/2 Cup of Avocado Oil
- Begin by cooking your rice either in a rice cooker or in a deep-set pot. Once the rice is fully cooked, season it with sushi rice seasoning.
- Next, take your sushi rice and lay it onto a baking sheet pan and form the rice into a large rectangle that is roughly 1/2-1 inch thick. (Make sure that the rice is tightly packed together and there are no large air gaps in the rectangle formation so that the rice doesn’t fall apart when you fry it later.)
- Once the rice is nicely packed together, place the sheet pan in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- At this time, place your tuna, sesame oil, kewpie mayo, sriracha, and gochujang together in a bowl and thoroughly mix. Once the spicy tuna is mixed together, cover the bowl into the fridge until it’s time to serve.
- Next, take your jalapeno slices and place them in a bowl with your 1/4 cup of ponzu and let this marinate until it’s time to serve. (You can marinate the jalapeños overnight, which will temper the spice of the jalapeños and will leave you with a spicy ponzu sauce you can use later.)
- Once 30 minutes have passed, remove your rice from the freezer and cut the rice rectangle into rectangular cuts that are roughly 2 inches wide and 4 inches long.
- Once these cuts are on the sheet pan, take a deep set fry pan and heat it on medium heat.
- Add your avocado oil to the pan and allow it to heat up to frying temperature, which you can test with a few grains of rice.
- Once the avocado oil has heated up, add your rice rectangles to the pan and allow them to cook for ~5-6 minutes a side until they turn golden brown. Once the rice is golden brown on both sides, remove it from the oil and set it on a wire rack or paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Finally, take your crispy rice and top it with avocado, cucumber, spicy tuna and a ponzu marinated jalapeno slice and enjoy!