Jeremiah Doughty | From Field to Plate
Not only is this venison recipe delicious, it looks quite impressive too! The ingredients and prep are pretty simple, but you’ll look like a master chef when this is done.
1 venison backstrap or sirloin butterflied
1 cup frozen or fresh spinach
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
8-10 oven roasted or sun dried tomatoes
5 large basil leaves
1.5 cups fresh mozzarella, shredded
1 tbsp cracked pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp smoked paprika
- Butterfly the venison making sure not to cut all the way through.
- In shallow dish add soy, Worcestershire, cracked pepper, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder and minced garlic. Coat each side of venison and lightly wrap top of dish.
- Place in fridge for 2 hours, flipping once.
- Preheat Traeger or grill to 325 degrees.
- Remove venison from marinade. On cutting board lay venison cut side up. Add spinach, mozzarella, basil and tomatoes
- Roll venison and tie with butcher twine.
- Place in center of grill and cook 8 minutes then flip and cook additional 8 minutes.
- Remove from grill and let rest 5 minutes, remove twine and slice into 1 inch thick steaks. Pair alongside some fresh Brussels sprouts, green beans or golden mash.