Jeremiah Doughty – From Field to Plate
It’s as quick and easy as the boxed stuff, but tastes way better!
As a kid, I remember running down the boxed food aisle at the grocery store and begging my mom for a box of Hamburger Helper™. There was something about helping mom brown the meat, opening the box and dumping everything in a pot for my meal.
I’m not going to lie; I still crave this boxed meal on cold nights when I want an easy, tasty meal. So here is my copycat version of that boxed meal. The best part is you can use this same recipe even if you don’t have any game meat.
- 1 pound ground game meat (venison, elk, bison, deer meat)
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
* 3 cloves, crushed
- pinch to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder (if wanted heat)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups venison broth (or beef broth)
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In large skillet or dutch oven, heat oil over med-high heat. Add onion and brown. Add garlic and cook additional two minutes.
- Add ground game meat and brown. Add paprika, parsley, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir until blended.
- Stir in milk, broth, pasta and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to med-low and cook 10-12 minutes until pasta is cooked, stirring often so not to burn.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese.
- Serve and enjoy.
This can be used as a base recipe. Add any vegetable, spice or seasoning your family enjoys.