Jeremiah Doughty – From Field to Plate
For a moist and flavorful duck breast, consider a brine soak. The time it takes from start to first bite is absolutely worth it!
3-6 ducks, plucked
2 cans Wheat beer (I used Blue Moon Belgium white, with orange)
2 cinnamon sticks, whole
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 shallot, minced
1/2 red onion, sliced
2 tablespoons whole pepper corns
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
2 dried bayleaves
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 oranges, one sliced into wedges, 2nd cut in half
1. In large bowl add all ingredients, mix until blended.
2. Add ducks to ziplock bag and add beer brine
3. Let rest in fridge for 6-8 hours
4. Remove from beer brine, break cinnamon sticks and place inside cavity along with one orange wedge.
5. Place wire rack in baking dish, pace ducks breast side up on wire rack.
6. Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees or smoker at 325
7. Bake until skin is crispy 20-35 minutes
8. Remove from oven and let rest
9. Squeeze oranges over ducks and serve immediately.