Chef Nathan Duensing puts a new twist on everyone’s favorite waterfowl-based appetizer, a duck popper perfect for any table.
- 2 duck breasts
- creole seasoning
- bamboo skewers
- pickled jalapeno peppers
1. Pour some of the brine out of the pickled peppers and add sugar to sweeten. Set aside. This will be used to top the finished product.
2. Season duck breasts with creole seasoning and salt.
3. Cut bacon in half and cook halfway. This will keep you from overcooking the duck while waiting for the bacon to get fully done on the grill or pan.
4. Sear duck breasts in the bacon fat and then cut into thin strips.
5. Place slices of seared duck onto a piece of bacon, then add a pepper slice. Roll up the bacon and place poppers onto the skewer, as many as will fit.
6. Place the skewer on the grill and finish cooking the bacon.
7. Once cooked, remove from the skewer and add another slice of pepper on top and finish with the sugared brine.