When it comes to the classic brat or hot dog I love to mix up recipes beyond just mustard, ketchup, and relish. This recipe is a way to compliment the spicy, savory flavor of the Gamekeeper Butchery 3 Chile Wild Boar Sausage with textures and flavors inspired by Mexican Cuisine.
Hickory Smoked and Candied Jalapeno Relish
- 1-2 lbs of Jalapeños, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3-4 cups of White Sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons of Celery Salt
- 1-2 teaspoons of Paprika
- 1 teaspoon of Dark Chili Powder
- 1 bottle of Mexican Crema
- 2-4 Avocados
- Juice of 3-4 Limes
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1-2 bunches of Cilantro
- (Optional) 2-4 Cloves of Garlic
Pickled Red Onions
- 2 Large Red Onions, Sliced
- 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4-1/3 Cup of Water
- 1 tablespoon of Salt
- 2 tablespoons of White Sugar
- 4 tablespoons of Black Peppercorns
- Begin by taking a disposable drip pan and putting small holes in the bottom with a skewer or knife point.
- Slice your jalapeños and place them in the pan an set your smoker to the lowest possible smoke setting, mine was 160F.
- Place the jalapeños and drip pan in the smoker for 1.5-2.5 hours until the jalapeños are tender and have a smokey flavor.
- Remove the jalapeños and then dice them. Take the remaining ingredients and mix them in a plan and bring them to a boil. and then add the jalapeños and let them candy on medium-low heat for 10 minutes and then put them in a bowl or jar.
- For the pickled onions, slice the onions and then place them in a sealable jar.
- Take the brining ingredients and mix them in a pan and bring them to boil and then pour them over the onions and let them marinate for 30-45 minutes before placing them in the fridge.
- For the crema, you will combine all ingredients in a blender and pulse until the desired consistency is reached. (Add more or less avocado depending on the size and what consistency you are looking for.)
- Finally, top all the ingredients onto a freshly cooked wild boar sausage and then crumble some queso fresco on top and enjoy!