One of my favorite condiments to make is a classic wild boar bacon jam. This jam can be eaten solely by itself on a charcuterie board or can make an amazing topping for a burger or a brat! For this recipe I am showing a savory and delicious condiment combination for the Gamekeeper Butchery Mushroom and Swiss Pheasant Sausage that will pair the salty flavors of wild boar bacon with the savory notes of the pheasant sausage.
Wild Boar Bacon Jam
- 1 pack of Gamekeeper Butchery Wild Boar Bacon Sliced, diced
- 1 Large Sweet or Yellow Onions, diced
- 1/2 cup of Coffee
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Large Shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoons of Dark Chili Powder
- 2-3 tablespoons of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of Paprika
- (Optional) 2 Cloves of minced Garlic
Aged Swiss, grated
- Take your Wild Boar bacon slices and dice them into small squares.
- Take a large cast iron skillet and add the bacon on medium-high heat.
- Let the bacon render and then add the onion and shallots to the pan and bring the temperature to medium heat.
- Cook the onions until the become soft and then add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- bring the temperature of the jam down to low and let the jam slowly break down for 1-2 hours until the consistency you desire is reached.
- Take your pan-seared or grilled pheasant sausage and add it to a bun and then top it with fresh bacon jam and grate some swiss cheese over top and enjoy!